It's a dog blog, a cat blog, a cat and dog blog. Fun, reviews, dog training tips . . .

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Himalayan Dog Chew Review

Always on the lookout for the healthiest and safest dog treats, I recently stumbled upon the Himalayan Dog Chew. The Himalayan Dog Chew comes from an ancient recipe of the people of the Himalayas and Nepal, in the mountains surrounding Mt. Everest at more than 15,000 feet. It is made using traditional methods with yak or cow milk. They are all natural with no chemicals or preservatives.
Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein min 52.6%, crude fat min 0.9%, ash max 6.0%, moisture max 10.2%
Ingredients: yak and cow milk, salt, lime juice
NO preservatives and NO additives (Who does not prefer all natural dog treats?)

After reading this, you're probably wondering: Isn't this like hard cheese? Yes it is! What is wrong with that? The milk used in these dog chews is cooked therefore the protein is not in it's raw form and your pooch should have no upset tummy or dog diarrhea.  The salt and fat content is so low that it is negligible. Because of their make up, these dog chews that have been around for 6 years now, are not known to cause any intestinal blockage, unlike other dog chews, as for example rawhide dog chews.

The Himalayan Dog Chew comes in a variety of sizes. I always go up a size. I always give my small dogs larger chews. They are both more economical and safe that way. However, there are many sizes to pick from.

Product list: Himalayan Dog Chew Small (3-5 pieces), Himalayan Dog Chew Medium (1 piece), Himalayan Dog Chew Large (1 piece), and there's the Himalayan Dog Chew Mixed (3 pieces).




I have nothing but positive feedback about the Himalayan Dog Chew. My dogs, that range in size from extra small (teacup chihuahua) to large (dalmatian german shorthaired pointer mix) love it and all spend hours licking and chewing on this pack favorite. Another plus, is that this product is not offensive to the humans. Unlike, bully sticks or pizzle for instance, that reek, the Himalayan Dog Chew does not have an unpleasant odor. It's rather subtle.

I just placed another order for Himalayan Dog Chew treats. I am convinced that it's one of the top choices if not the best dog chew for my pack.

Twinkie

A WARNING AND AN UPDATE (July 2, 2013) Here is a reader's recent comment: just wanted to add, found your site while doing research.. my 7 month old labradoodle is recovering from intestinal blockage surgery after swallowing a chunk of Everest Chew... we have it in a pill bottle as a reminder... I would NEVER feed these to any dog again.. we were very close to losing him... just a warning...

Thank you for your comment! As with all dog treats, chews, toys, even collars, we, your precious pooches NEED supervision. Any and all treats are potential threats if they are the wrong size, or if you do not remove them as they get smaller. Let's use our judgment and get better educated and we can all live happily ever after. Twink!

17 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

We rarely get doggy chews. Mom always says we'll chock. Whatever
Benny & Lily

Oskar said...

Hmm, I'll have to place on order for these post-haste. Thanks for the info!

JacksDad said...

I get tickled at anything that is labled chew. For Jack, that simply means 'can be eaten in under a minute' :)

Remi said...

Mom just got me and my sis, Nala, one of these. I haven't had mine yet, but will let you know what I think. The ingredients make it sound like a doggie margarita. Maybe mom will let me have mine today since it's rainy and yucky out!

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

Ah, if only I could bring myself to let Franklin have edible chewies we might enjoy these. Unfortunately, I can't seem to help this self-defeating behavior. Maybe in time...

lotsa licks, Lola

Amber and Nala said...

Cool...I just got one as a get well pressie from my brother Remi and I can't wait to try it out! Glad you did such a wonderful review. :)

Kisses,
Nala

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We haven't heard about these. In general we don't get dog chews. But Mom says maybe she will have to look into these too. Thanks for the review.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I don't think they have these at my PetSmart. I would LOVE them, though.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Hmmmmm -

I might need to work on my treat provider -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Not all bullystikhks are smelly smelly - some still smell like they are alive but there are some (Best) that has Mom doing multiple takes - not just a double one!

brooke said...

ooh great review! Darwin loves bully sticks, but they are so stinky and make her so gassy we dont get them for her very often.
I'll have to keep my eyes out for this one!

Molly the Airedale said...

Ever since I was diagnosed with kidney disease, our doggie chews have stopped coming our way! It's so unfAire!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Dexter said...

Thanks for the review, but unless they come in super jumbo size we are going to take a pass. I tend to kind of swallow things whole. The only chewies that work for me are big pieces of cow.

Slobbers,
Mango

Anonymous said...

I was thinking, and where you took the material for this article? Really out of my head?

Anonymous said...

be carfull with himillain dog chews there made in an enviroment with mold an also bleach them so if your animal is having problem look at the dog chews from this bs company just thought i would let the people know what goes on in the in side of this new saddy company!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

be very carfull with the himilaion dog chews there made in an enviroment with mold in the facility and there also cleaned with bleach watter so just watch out for your animals an hope that they dont get poisened by this bs product

RTRescueMom said...

@Mikesfieck....you are so off base with how this product is made. Get your facts straight. This is not made in a factory. If you took the time to speak with the company, you would know more than talking out the hole in your backside.

We've been using these for many months and sell them through our rescue. Oh, and they come in an XL size which is dang big. I use the small-med with my rat terriers and the medium is already a good sized. No choking problems. It's not like rawhide, it's digestible. Plus if it gets small, you can pop it. How to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJKlq8tyio

ab machines said...

Happy to visit this site. I will come back here again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails