It's a dog blog, a cat blog, a cat and dog blog. Fun, reviews, dog training tips . . .

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dog Chews | Bully sticks

My family and I are always on the lookout for the perfect dog chews. We live in a mixed cat/dog household and us dogs vary in size from XXSM-L. We also have furiends who belong in the XXL category we're always thinking of. Because the opinions on rawhide dog chews vary so much, we don't feel safe about using those, yet. Therefore, for the time being, our solution has been: bully sticks aka pizzle. Bully sticks are pricey, but they last a really long time with us small dogs. With larger dog breeds they don't last nearly as long, but they're still a good choice. Mommy found that the longest bully sticks for dogs at Petco were the best deal. She'd buy one and then use a handsaw or a Dremel tool to split it in three, but yesterday she checked out Amazon and found an even better deal I want to share with you.




list price $81.00 on sale $34.99


Of course, I still love the marrow bones that we get from the butcher's, and leftover bones we get to suck on for a little while, under the strictest supervision, so we don't break off any sharp fragments, or fight.

Much better than bully sticks
but also more dangerous


Why is it that all good things in life are either forbidden or don't last long?

We have already ordered our bully sticks for now, but we'll keep on looking, learning, testing and we'll give you more information regularly. Some of you made some pawesome suggestions on dog chews that I will post about once I've tested them for myself in my diverse household. 
For you cat owners, our cats do occasionally play, roll, and chew with the bully sticks mommy gets for us, but I don't think that they are too interested. Perhaps we'll figure out a way to saturate them with catnip aroma turning them into the idea catnip toy!

Twinkie

24 comments:

Scooter said...

Twink
Thanks for the info. We will check on those. You sure look like you are nawing like crazy on that bone.
ENJOY!!

Wags
Jazzi

houndstooth said...

We love bully sticks, but I have to be careful, because for some reason, they often make me sick. None of the other hounds here have that problem, so Mom thinks I just have a sensitive stomach.

We enjoy a good bone to chew on from time to time, but Mom is now rethinking it after the article from the FDA that was on Dogster this week. It had a lot of reasons why dogs shouldn't eat bones. *sigh* What's a girl to chew?

Bunny

Tucker said...

Ooh I love bully sticks. My favorite are the twisted/braided ones, cause I can eat them all. The straight ones I can't finish once they get to be 3 inches. I can't hold them with my paw and chew :(.

woof - Tucker

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Mommy has never bought me a "bully stick." What is it? I should like to know what to beg for the next time Mommy goes to petsmart.
Sally Ann

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom has been meaning to order some bestbullysticks for me but she's not gotten her mom bum in gear yet!

We'll be looking furward to your upkhoming posts!

Although it doesn't matter to us, some bullystikhks really make the humans' noses khurl!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Anonymous said...

Oh we luvs bully sticks! But like you said, they are SO expensive! I'll get mom to run right over and check those out! Thanks, Twink!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

We love bully sticks!!! They are delicious :)

D.K. Wall said...

We are about to settle down to our Bully Sticks from bestbullysticks.com right now.

Salinger The Pug said...

Ok...are you going to make me be the one to say it???

You DO know that Bully Sticks are basically Bull Penis jerky???

NUMMERS! It's my FAAAVORITE!

Love,
S-Dog

Draco and his Mom said...

Nummers...I love bully sticks too.
You look like you are enjoying that real bone.
Wags,
Draco

brooke said...

mmm Darwin LOVES bully sticks, but they make her so gassy! Does that happen to you? Im sure xxs gas is way easier to deal with than xxl gas!

Yas said...

Bully sticks? yummys!! better not let Zackt see this, he's crazy about bully sticks!!

Cheers,
Maxx

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That sounds like a great deal, Twinkie. Hope you get to enjoy lots of bully sticks. We don't get them here, but we hear they are really good. Phantom doesn't like to chew on hard things. Mom isn't letting Ciara have much of anything other than her kibble because of all the trouble we had when she first got here, and TD is stuck not having one just because:(

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Two French Bulldogs said...

After Lilys nylabone incident, we tried a Bully Stick..NOT! 5 minutes it was chewed to bits, taken away and thrown away. Hope you have better luck Twink
Benny & Lily

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I like bully sticks too, butt seldom get them. I have my deer antlers and cow hooves all the time though.

the booker man said...

i've nevarrr had a bully stick...i think my mama is grossed out by them. boohoo. we have lots of nylabones at my house for me and asa to chew on. oh, and i almost forgot the greenies! i looove greenies.
*woof*
the booker man

Hank said...

Yep, Twink.....I LUV me some bully sticks!!!

Enjoy!

JacksDad said...

I've never tried to eat anything that is bigger than I am! :)

Lorenza said...

Hi, Twinkie!
Yummy bully sticks!
We don't have them here but I tasted one that Twix sent to me some time ago.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

3 doxies said...

Unfortunately our mum doesn't like us enough to gives us chew toys of da like. I am soooo greenvious ya'll gets such fantastical stuffs. I wouldn't mind playing withs your moms saw though.
pees: I was told to inform you that our mom loves us very much but we can't have chew toys cuz we'll fight and Whitney can become rather...aggressive.

puddles

Sagira said...

Wow, that does sound like a good deal. Thanks for sharing. Mom has some bully sticks here but hasn't let us try them yet.

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

Mom said that she saw in Drs. Foster and Smith antlers chews!! They come in all different sizes for all different sized doggies. And before you ask, no, we have not tried them because we are not allowed to have anything like this in our house. Chewy turns into the Exorcist when he has one and growls and snarls at anyone who walks by him!!

Chi kisses, Chewy & Lilibell

Bully Sticks said...

It is still best to ask vets which chew is best for your pet. It is always best to be sure about your dogs health.

Bully Sticks said...

Bully sticks are the best dog chew you could give your dog as a treat. This will give you both peace and comfort for hours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails