It's a dog blog, a cat blog, a cat and dog blog. Fun, reviews, dog training tips . . .

Friday, April 23, 2010

Chiweenie Friday (15) - Dog Obedience Training

I went to dog obedience training yesterday to learn some new moves and to practice for my AKC Canine Good Citizen test and it went really really well.

This is me, the Chiweenie demonstrating how timid I am generally
Consider this my personal dog training tip

I am rather submissive
This is my furiend, Dexter the Doxie

For a easily frightened dog, like my chiweenie self, the real challenge regarding the Canine Good Citizen test is overcoming my fears (and the fact that for this test mommy is not allowed to use treats). The test is not so hard. I get evaluated on a pass/fail basis. Most items I need to learn are simple. I have to be able to sit/stay, do down/stay, sit politely for petting, allow a stranger to groom me, walk on a loose leash, and sit down on command. No problem. Where dog obedience training gets tough for me is the following training items: walking through a crowd and  reaction to another dog and distractions. Those require a certain amount of bravery I have yet to master. I'll know more next Wednesday the day I take my Canine Good Citizen exam. 

Meanwhile, I have my two sissies to protect me. 

I ask my tiny tea cup chihuahua sissy to fight my battles
btw this is the friendliest blue heeler in the world and her name is Sage


And I hide behind my larger, dalmatian and german shothaired pointer sissy
for protection

Regardless, we all do the best we can in this life and my mommy appreciates it. This is the email we got from my superb and funny and adorable trainer, the fabulous Ms Cyndy Wood.

"Frankie's test is next week but she deserves recognition for completing, and very successfully I might add, the CGC class.  So, with Pomp & Circumstances playing in the background, this is in honor of Frankie's stellar performance as a Canine Good Citizen.
Congratulations to Ms. Frankie and to her able handler!  What a great team you are!"

She even sented me a virtual star!!! I will cherish this email and save it among my most prized possessions. What I haven't mentioned yet is that my trainer is a firm believer in Positive Training for Dogs and Their People. I'm so lucky! Mom loves this philosophy and swears to use it on all dog obedience training from now on. I agree 100%. Thank you Ms Wood and mommy. 

One final word about the Canine Good Citizen exam. There is an automatic failure rule if we, the students, eliminate during testing, we must be marked fail. As you know, chiweenie puppies are not simple to potty train. Puppy potty training is not that easy on most small dogs. If anybody has any potty training tips to share, now is a good time. 

Stay not out of touch and I'll have the exam results next week.
Frankie


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

darn it! i wrote a long comment and it didn't make it through!~

I think the key is to be very consistent. ALWAYS walk your dog before getting on the training field and make them go potty. say "go potty" to make it clear they're there to do their pee/poo. say "good potty" when they go. give them more than one pee. they usually have more than one.

Then on the training field, do NOT let them sniff the ground. Sniffing leads to marking. it also means they aren't paying attention to you. simply interrupt it and say "no" and redirect to what they're supposed to be doing (sitting, downing, coming, heeling, whatever). However you interrup, via voice, collar correction or even a gentle push on the shoulder, say "no" and then make sure to redirect and praise for when they redirect.

Being consistent with how you approach the training field pays off. Neither of my dogs pee or poo on the field. i walk them both before hand. they have absolutely peed on the field before if i had not walked them. and once Loki i think poo'd on the field, but it was early on in my training and i didn't establish any real rhythem yet to my training or "boundaries and rules" that we obey as a pack (the three of us) no matter where we are. i find when i control when and where they potty, they end up making very smart decisions about where to potty in natural circumstances. for example, on trail walks both dogs will potty in the woods off the trails. whereas, i see VERY well-trained dogs, come onto the concrete to approach the training field and just squat and poo on the concrete though it's clearly not a potty place, it's a high traffic area of going on and off the field. I don't think either of my dogs would ever do that. but they have pee'd before becuase of my own fault of not giving them the chance to eliminate prior.

I have 2 trainers. One does not have a no-pee/potty rule on his field. the other absolutely has that rule. It took me a while to understand that it should be a general rule even if a trainer does not enforce it. there's nothing worse than stepping in poo as you back up to recall your dog on the field. it's NOT a dog park. i understand accidents happen, but as I've been training a few years, i've come to appreciate that general politeness of helping to train the dogs not to do it. it's fairly simple but it takes lots of consistency. as long as you're fair to the dog and let him eliminate BEFORE training, there's nothing wrong with interrupting during sniffing BEFORE she/he marks the field. I suppose if my dog were sniffing a LOT, i'd interrupt and take him/her off the field and give the "go potty" command. you'll get the hang of it when you see them sniffing too much. we have a chi at school and i've never seen her potty on the field.

Good luck Frankie!

JacksDad said...

I'm very happy that you got a virtual star and a good note from your teacher! I wish I could find those kinds of teachers around here!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

A REAL star got a Virtual Star... YEAH. Congratulations.
I know you will do your very most bestest on your good cit. test. It is HARD , BUTT very much worth the work and worry.
You Go Girl!!

Cat Mandu said...

Hi, Twinky! Looks like you have been busy with your "training". Mom has never taken me to "training". Congratulations on your star.
Cat Mandu

Pat Wahler said...

Good luck, Frankie! I know you'll do well!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

kissa-bull said...

oh frankie dear the 6pack will be crossing all our paws and wishing you the best of luck on you exam. mommish has the same problem wiff lucky cause she pottys everytime she gets excited or when you try to pick her up. we're still working out the basics so if we find something that woiks we'll let you know

pibble wiggles
the pittie pack

Anonymous said...

Aw, Frankie! That's so very much MOST Wonderful! I am very very proud of you! I would like to do that CGC thing, too, someday but I thinks the meeting other dogs thing would be kinda hard. But you know what? I know you're gonna do super-duper great!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

houndstooth said...

Frankie, I knew you'd do great in class! I'd say try not to eat or drink too much before the test. I don't think wearing a diaper counts towards keeping you from being disqualified, though. So, cross your short little legs if you have to, but do NOT go potty in that ring! I advise going for a looooooooong walk somewhere with a lot of good pee mail so you can get it all out of your system before the test.

Bunny

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Good job, Frankie. And lots of luck for the test - we know you can do it. After Mom gets Ciara's training rolling, she is hoping to have TD work on his CGC too.

Have a great weekend.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Good lukhk!

Paws khrossed fur a great test!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

Good luck on your test!

We are rootin' for ya :)

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

the booker man said...

i'll be crossing my paws for you, miss frankie!! i know you can pass that canine good citizen test! make sure you get all your energies out and go on a nice long walkie before, and you'll be good to go!
*woof*
the booker man

Lorenza said...

Hi, Frankie!
I know you are going to do it great!
Congratulations on your Star!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Scooter said...

Hi Frankie,
I am glad that your practice went so good. You will do great on your
good citizen test, we have faith in you. Twink really looks out for you.
Hey twink, I havent seen you around my blog???

Good luck frankie
jazzi

Dexter said...

That Good Citizen test is not easy. You must have been working hard on your skills.

Slobbers,
Mango

3 doxies said...

Have no fear, Twink will be there. Ok seriously, trained doggies are just really overrated...take me fur example. Ok, I be real serious now. You will do great, you just s needs to works on your self-confidence.
Doxies are notorious for being hards to potty train. When me and brudder were little, mum took us out like every 20 mim and gaves us lots and lots of praise. Positive reinforcement is da only way to properly train a doggie...in my opinion.
Puddles

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

The only potty training tip I have is be a Shar Pei. It's a breed talent and we are unsurpassed in this area. But seriously, going before is always the best way. And just try to be calm. Don't let your human get anxious because you'll catch it. Being nervous makes humans and other non-Shar Pei individuals want to go.

Good luck, but remember, you've got that gold star and you've made lots of progress and whatever happens on the test, that's the important thing.

wags, Lola

Deborah said...

Good luck on your test! Receiving a Gold Star is awesome, that means your already perfect too me!
xxoo
Deborah

kishiko said...

Wow! Frankie! Good job!
Good luck to you!
{{{Hugs}}}
Matilda

KB said...

Good luck on the test but it sounds like you already had a huge victory in the class. Overcoming fear enough to enjoy the class is great for Frankie!!!

Smushie Ranch said...

Frankie, we're pulling for you!! It must be so hard to be brave when life didn't start out the best for you. No on one understands that better than our Betty. We love seeing pictures of your sisses protecting you. Specially of Twink standing up to dogs so much bigger than her... BOL!

Much love!
Stella, Gunther and Betty

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Sounds like you are doing GREAT Frankie!!!

Mama says she is STILL trying to get Bilbo fully potty trained...so she is also looking for tips!

Smileys!
Dory

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Frankie,
I know you can do it. I've had my own issues with tunnel training, so I can feel your pain. I had fun, but Mommy says I need to work on coming to her.
Sally Ann

Draco and his Mom said...

Yay Frankie, you did so good and got a star and verything. I am keeping my paws crossed that you get your certificate. You certainly deserve it.
Wags,
Draco

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello frankie its dennis the vizsla dog hay i am shoor yoo wil do fine!!! i am glad yoo hav yore sisters to protekt yoo i hav a brother and sister to protekt me!!! wel ummm a sister ennyway ha ha ok bye

Sagira said...

Good luck on your exam Frankie. You can do it! I have my CGC as well. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails