It's a dog blog, a cat blog, a cat and dog blog. Fun, reviews, dog training tips . . .

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hiking With Dogs | Hiking With A Senior Dog

Until recently, I was left behind every time my bigger sissy, Linguini, went hiking with her rhodesian ridgeback friends because M was afraid I'd get crushed. However, since the rhodies are so gentle and since I'm pretty savvy myself, she decided to give it a go. We were all a bit nervous. Here we were, a pack of misfits; one tiny teacup chihuahua, one rather small chiweenie, a senior dalmatian and german shorthaired pointer mix, and two robust powerful rhodesian ridgebacks. Off we went.

At the start of our hike, we needed a pow wow and brief introductions

This gorgeous dude, Hank, the rhodesian ridgeback . . . fell in love with me

I gave him an ear full and told him that I like hiking with dogs, but I'm not interested in a relationship at the moment. Alas! It was too late. 

No matter, I decided to proceed by finding a super cool rock

Linguini to paid her respects too

And so did Sue. Copycats!

We were having a blast, but all the while we minded Linguini, our senior dog. After her recent face plant, we've become even more conservative. We don't take off as far as we used to and we all keep an eye on our girl at all times, in case she needs us.

On rare occasions, she did need our assistance. We don't want to deprive her of her fun, so from now on, this is the way it's going to be. We're going to enjoy hiking with dogs, but we'll be careful and considerate.

"Hey, what's taking you slow pokes so long? I'm a three legged dog and I still have to wait up for you."
As I was saying, I'll be more careful and considerate . . . soon

I was feeling a little crowded in this photo. See how adoringly Hank is looking at me? Is it love or does he think I'm an appetizer? 

Dog hiking is the best and it is also very healthy. It helps keep everyone fit. All you need to do is be well prepared and know the limitations of every pack member. We always try to hike by running water, to avoid risking dehydration, and we are well aware of the natural threats of our surroundings (including rattle snakes, coyotes, etc). We stay by our biped pack leaders and watch out for one another. Also, in our desire to enjoy our hikes, we tend to all get along and develop wonderful relationships that under different circumstances would pause a challenge. 

For those of you who can't hike by running water, there are several options available. There are wonderful and convenient water bowls and water bowl sets available that weigh close to nothing and are easy to take with you. Tons of dog hiking gearto take along and if you don't like carrying stuff, and if your dog isn't too tiny, you can always invest in a dog backpack

Take a hike!

Twinkie

23 comments:

Sally Ann and Andy said...

What a great hike! I think a little Welsh woman would look perfect hiking with y'all. Just let me know. . .
Sally Ann

Bijou said...

Oh you lucky dogs! I have only been on one hike and probably won't get to go on another anytime soon. My mom used to hike with her big dogs all the time but now she is old and lazy! BOL

That Hank does seem to be in love with you.

Waggles,
Bijou

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Great advice and good friends!

What a fun hike!!

Smileys and Snuggles!
Dory, Jacob and Bilbo

JacksDad said...

How very kind of you and your peoples to be thinking of everyone on your hike! I hope you took lots of water!

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

That looks like a great hike and I agree that it's good for you. But do you have any tips on hiking with senior and lame HUMANS? I'm fine, but two out of three of the two leggers I spend most of my time with are not in as good shape.

wags, Lola

houndstooth said...

Funny you should mention that! Mom was just thinking about getting me a pink backpack the other day!

Your hike looks like tons of fun! I took a long walk today, but it wasn't a hike. Mom only has a few days until summer break, though, and she promises some hiking and all kinds of other fun! You'd look cute with a back pack, Twink!

Bunny

Draco and his Mom said...

Great hiking pictures Twink, I love to explore while hiking so mom is making me get a rattlesnake vaccine this year. One of the dog parks I go to had to close, cause so many pupsters got a bite. I hope the snakes are not bothering you guys. It is very cool that you can have fun with the big dogs.
Wags,
Draco

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Oh Linguini and Twinkie what a GRRRREAT hike that was. The pictures are soooooo clear and sharp. I feel like I was right there with you... paying respect to the ROCK!!!
Hank is a HUNK... I'm thinkin' he has a hooooooge crush on you girrrrl. I can understand that.

Taffy said...

Hey girl! Looks like you guys had a blast! I agree, no more face plants for Linguini. I forgot to tell you that I love the pawprints in the sand photos from yesterdays post. And, you should be receiving a package Tues or Wed ;o)
Snuggles,
Twix

The Luke said...

Your pitchers are so fun, I feel like I was there wif you! And I loved it!

wif love from the Luke

P.S. Look in the Hank's eyes = ♥
Just sayin.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello twinkie its dennis the vizsla dog hay that luks like a grate hike!!! we went on a big hike in the mowntins a fyoo yeerz ago and thawtful peepul had left water bowls along the hole rowt for us dogs to yooze chek it owt!!! ok bye

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Those really big dogs always seem to like the little ones. Great hike. We would love to hike too but we are lucky to get our walks - the Momster has bad bones and can't risk falling:(

Happy weekend.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh, we forgot to say we hope the pregnant kitty is doing well.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I LOVE the pikhs of woo and Hunky Hank!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Mollie Jo and Bobo said...

What a fun hike!

Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo & Bobo

D.K. Wall said...

We hike all of the time, so you know we loved today's post.

koko said...

Great hike and good company... makes that a pawsome day out, Twinkie.

Licks, hero

Sagira said...

Looks like you all had a great time on your hike. :)

Martine said...

Cool HIKE!!!!

THis might be a question for Tuesday... but do you think Captain is too small for a dog backpack?

xo martine & the kiddlets

Deborah said...

You have the best places to hike! We should go more often!!!
xxoo
Deborah

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

what a fantastic hike! we loved the pictures and enjoyed the scenery!!!! thanks for taking us along on the adventure--that is our kinda post!!

Cloud the Wonder Dog said...

Great post, Twink, pawsome photos, too!! We love to hike!!! :-)

Luv,
Cloud

the booker man said...

looks like it was a grrreat hike, miss twinkie! i'm glad ya'll got along super well and were gentle and nice with your big sis linguini.
oh, and i think you might have a new boyfriend. that hank was giving you the googley eyes for sures. ;)
*woof*
the booker man

Related Posts with Thumbnails