It's a dog blog, a cat blog, a cat and dog blog. Fun, reviews, dog training tips . . .

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dog Arthritis And Blown Cruciate Update

(continued from yesterday)

Our dalmatian mix's blood test results came in, and meanwhile we were also able to locate what was making her so violently ill. It was the medication (hormone) that we had her on for her dog incontinence. Linguini had a rare reaction to Proin (phenylpropanolamine). We have already taken her off it and later, after her health has improved, we'll start looking at alternatives. The mop and bucket (along with bleach and Nature's Miracle) will have to replace the Proin for the time being. That's all good news since she hasn't thrown up once in the past 24 hours. She's already getting stronger.

The limp is a totally unrelated situation we need to tackle. We're going to give Linguini a couple more days to recover from the reaction to Proin and then put her on Rimadyl twice a day for a week. At the end of that time period, we will reconvene with the dog vet and decide for or against surgery. There is still a slight chance that the cruciate is partially torn versus completely blown. If it's partially torn and it's the dog arthritis that is mainly acting up, surgery will be postponed indefinitely to spare the senior dog from going under anesthesia.

I got some comments about dog glucosamine and chondroitin versus Rimadyl. I am grateful for all feedback, but in this dog's case, supplements will not suffice. She's already been on glucosamine for dogs, and on chondroitin,  and on fish oil for dogs. Supplements are always preferable to medication, but only when drugs can actually be avoided. Under the circumstances, the drug, Rimadyl, will potentially help avoid a rather involved, risky, and expensive surgery, so we have to give it a chance.

Twinkie

11 comments:

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

You might want to hit Popeye's Blog and check out the NPR link from last week -

http://fosterdogblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/npr-nicholas-dodman-on-caring-for-your.html

We got to hear it on our way from IA to IN - quite a good show!

Khyra's Mom

Oskar said...

Thanks for giving us an update. I'm so happy that the vomiting has stopped!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

So very glad that you were able to hone in on the cause for the vomiting. We hope you can find an alternative that will work without making her sick. Paws crossed that the surgery won't be needed and that Linguini will be pain free soon.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

So very glad that you were able to hone in on the cause for the vomiting. We hope you can find an alternative that will work without making her sick. Paws crossed that the surgery won't be needed and that Linguini will be pain free soon.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Clive said...

Our best wishes to Linguini - that is all very difficult but at least you know now what was making her sick. We hope you find a way to ease her pain soon.

take care
Clive and Murray

Sagira said...

Starr used to be on Proin and DES but once we got some of the extra weight off her she doesn't really need it anymore.

Lorenza said...

Paws crossed here for Linguin!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Mango said...

Mango takes metacam for his arthritis. Seems to have fewer side effects for him than the Rimadyl. Poor Linguini. Hard to know what to do given her age.

We upped the medication all the way on our other mastiff. We felt that given her life expectancy, the LT effects were not going to happen before we lost her and we wanted her to be as comfortable as possible.

My thoughts are with you.

Mango Momma

P.S. We have pet insurance, but are likely going to cancel. It doesn't even cover ACL or whatever it is and the paybacks we get on other visits are so not even breaking even.

Maggie and Mitch said...

Tons of positive thoughts are coming your way, Linguini!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

We are happy to hear that Linguini is not throwing up anymore and will put our paws together and pray that the drug will work and she won't need surgery. Sending lots of positive thoughts her way!

Waggles & Chi kisses, Chewy & Lilibell

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

We're so sorry Linguini has been ill, but glad you seem to be zeroing in on the problem. Hope she doesn't need surgery. But if she does, it's usually pretty successful. Our GSD furiend just had it, both knees [separately, of course], and he's all springy and energetic again. Of course, he's only about 5.

Regarding Linguini's incontinence, unless/until you find a med that works safely, you might consider doggie diapers. We had a friend with a senior standard poodle [so comparable size] who wore doggie diapers. Worked a treat, less clean up work for her mom. The poodle was fine with the diapers.

Jed & Abby

Related Posts with Thumbnails